I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Monday 3 December 2007

Philipps firmware update using Wine

Yesterday I managed to use update the firmware from my Philips DVD drive (PHILIPS DVD+RW DVD8601) in order to burn a few CDs. For this I used Wine on ubuntu. The update worked after a few little configurations (I had not yet used Wine).
  1. first install wine on debian
  2. find the correct update from the DELL? (was it DELL) page
  3. log as root
  4. look for the missing dll library for wine ( after I had gotten a missing library error), found it on the internet. The library was mfc42.dll
  5. then put the library in c:\windows\system using wine
  6. used $ wine .exe , it popped up a small window asking where some software should be decompressed
  7. chose a subdirectory from temp to decompress the software
  8. then executed the .exe file which was there
  9. it took a few minutes but finished cleanly
  10. reboot
  11. test the software