I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Tuesday 11 December 2007

Learning Groovy or Groovy Learning

Well I decided to learn Groovy.

It seems to have the most interesting properties, something like python or perl for java, except without the things I dislike from perl and python (about the former, it's not readible, about the latter I dislike the formatting constraint).

I haven't tested the compilation issue or the speed but this should not be a big problem. We'll see.

I made myself a summary from the groovy syntax and features from the tutorial.

I really like: (see: the differences from Java )

  • closures
  • the simple list and map syntax... What a pain it is in Java.
  • groovy markup as a nice way to work with XML, HTML, ANT...
  • easy use of regular expressions !!!!!! YEAH!
  • less problems with quotation marks and multi line strings
  • Gstring ( something to use variables for strings )
  • lots of supplementary useful methods (see the groovy jdk )
  • easy iteration ( though 1.5 did make things a lot easier)
  • easy setter/getter mechanism for beans
  • using closure for listeners

I'll have to try GRAILS, because I tried Rails And I found it not bad really.

It would also be interesting to see whether Groovy can be combined with JSF which I really liked.

But I think I am just starting feeling groovy.