I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Sunday 25 May 2008

Kernel Stuff

I did some little things with kernel programming (or more compiling) these days.

Part of the things I did were compiling kernel because I wanted to try UML (user mode linux).

So that's what I did:

  • Download the kernel configs from: http://uml.nagafix.co.uk/kernels/.
  • Download kernels from kernel.org.
  • untar the kernels to some directory
  • cd into the main directory of the kernel
  • copy the config of the kernels into main directory as .config file
  • $ make ARCH=um oldconfig
  • answered the necessary questions as good as I could
  • $ make ARCH=um

    At that point some errors appeared, so I tried to correct them.

  • to help me in the debugging process I used $ make V=1 ARCH=um
  • when I had some things that did not work well I used the gcc output to call it right away. For example, sometimes the architecture files would not be found right so I used -Iinclude sometimes a precompiler marks was not set correctly so I used -D__someprecompilermarks__. At some point I removed some problematic definition by using this together with a #ifndef in the header file. $ gcc ..... -Iinclude -D__someprecompilermarks__ ...
  • then I also downloaded a few kernel repositories using git, though I still need to perfect this.
  • I read (or skipped/read) quite a few Documentation files from the kernel or from the internet.
  • I familiarised myself with the git web interface, this together with having a kernel RSS feed in my thunderbird.

And all this in one day and half together with other things.