I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Sunday 25 May 2008

Maintainers File in Kernel and SCM tools for the kernel

I have just had a look at the maintener file in the linux kernel Tree.

I have noticed that there are a number of orphaned project. The question is whether any of these orphaned project really needs to be taken care of.

Another interesting thing was to learn about the different scm and patching tools used in kernel development: git, quilt and hg.

Here is an interesting overview of the reason for the development of git and quilt.

I really start to like the patch approach, and the article linked above gives a good idea of the reasons to use this approach. I should try to summarise in a future post the advantages and disadvantages of the different source code management approaches.