I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Saturday 16 January 2010

On Top of the Monitoring

So the new trend in naming of projects is to top every thing, in order to imply that these tools are similar to the top command. So the idea is to have a console (text-based) tool indicating what process or activity are currently at the top of their category (e.g memory consumption, processor last)...

So here are the few project I just discovered:

  • htop
  • innotop
  • ApacheTop

And I suppose there are many others.

htop

htop is the closest to (the ;-) ) top, since it is a kind of enhanced top. I tried it. And it was quite nice.

innotop

The name of this one comes from innoDB which is one of the possible backend to a mysql database. I have not tried this tool but I suppose it is like top but just for a mysql database.

ApacheTop

A kind of top for apache request. I think I should take a look, because it might be useful for debugging purposes of our applications.