I made a change in the blogger configuration to ease the later work when blogging. It is possible that older entries are not correctly formatted.

Sunday 20 September 2009

Fedora 11 installed

I installed Fedora 11. I still need to see what the differences are and see which software I need to install this time. The advantage of only updating (which did not really work for me from version 9 to 10).

The main new things seems to be that livna has more or less been replaced by rpmfusion. So I still have to see whether I can still install all the software I need for my own pleasure.

I will probably comment in this entry.

To install linux I used the CD from PCWELT Linux 5/2009.

LVM and partitioning

My computer is partitioned in the way that the /boot partition is under ext3 outside the lvm. But the '/' partition is under an lvm partition. In that way I can easily resize and create new partition. I used a new partition so that I should be able to come back to my older linux version, though I have not tested that yet.

One of the important change in fedora 11 (and perhaps fed 10) is the use of ext4.

One of my colleague is somewhat sceptical of the use of partitioning though I must say with lvm it is a real pleasure, but OMMV (our mileage may vary).

Ctrl+ Alt+ Backspace

In the new version of Xorg, the default configuration does not allow you to kill the X server with the keys: Ctrl+ Alt+ Backspace. Whether I find that good or not. Well I ain't so sure.

Desktop background

I really like the new background for the desktop. I suppose I might keep it some time. I really like the birds. Though searching with google there seems to be a lot of cool backgrounds: e.g http://www.wallpaperlinux.com/v/Fedora/Fedora+11+Linxu+Wallpaper+Fedora+11+Desktop+Background.jpg.html

CD automount

I have a small problem withe the auto mount for CDs. It does not seem to be working. I am not sure of the reason.

Installing RPM fusion

See: http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/.

At least using RPM fusion I can install: mplayer and vlc. I will have to see whether I can also play wmv, mpeg and avis just as I wish. It seems to be the case.

Updating would have been better?

With these things you never know. But I wonder whether I would not have rather updated the distribution instead of installing a new version. I am still not finished.